How can I travel with my pet after Brexit?

Now that the UK has left the EU pet travel has changed. You will no longer be able to travel with a GB-issued EU pet passport, so you will need an EU Animal Health Certificate (AHC). Or if travelling from the EU an EU Pet Passport issued by another EU country or Northern Ireland.

The below rule check list can be used to help you plan ahead. We also recommend that you speak to your vet and keep up to date with DEFRA guidelines on the website.

In order to travel your pet must have:

  • an animal health certificate (AHC), or a valid EU pet passport that’s accepted in the country you’re travelling to. You will need a new Animal Health Certificate every time you travel to an EU country. 

You must get an animal health certificate in the 10 days before you enter the EU as long as your pet either:
- has an up-to-date rabies vaccination already.
- only needs booster doses to keep the vaccination up to date.

If your pet needs a rabies vaccination, you must wait 21 days after the vaccination date before you get an animal health certificate. Day 1 is the day after vaccination.

We advise you tell your vet you need an AHC when you take your pet to get vaccinated. This gives your vet time to prepare it. 

Your pet’s animal health certificate is only valid for one single trip and will be valid after the date of issue for:
- 10 days for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland
- 4 months for onward travel within the EU
- 4 months for re-entry to Great Britain

Find out more on how to apply for an AHC and what information should be recorded by your vet by visiting the website.


  • a microchip - You must get your pet microchipped before, or at the same time as, their rabies vaccination. If you do not, they’ll need to be vaccinated again.


  • a valid rabies vaccination - You must get your dog, cat or ferret vaccinated against rabies before it can travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. Your vet needs proof that your pet is at least 12 weeks old before vaccinating them. You must wait 21 days to travel after your pet is vaccinated. Day 1 is the day after the rabies vaccination.


  • tapeworm treatment for dogs - A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in either an animal health certificate or a valid EU pet passport for entry into Great Britain.

The treatment must have been given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before your arrival into England; please check when your ship is scheduled to arrive, we recommend you visit the vet at least one day before you travel. To check what treatment information your vet must record on your ACH or EU pet passport please visit the government website.

Get in touch

We kindly ask that in order to gain answers to your travel queries quicker, please first consider using our Help Centre above or to find the latest sailing updates please visit our Twitter account @POferriesupdate.

If you wish to speak to an advisor regarding your booking, any amendments or cancellations you can contact us via the methods below. We thank you for your co-operation and patience at this busy time.


If you do prefer to contact us in writing, our postal adress is:

P&O Ferries
Channel House
Channel View Road
CT17 9TJ


Please send any questions or comments to: or submit an enquiry.


Contact our call centre on: 01304 44 88 88.

Opening times:

Monday - Friday - 08:00 - 18:00

Saturday - Sunday - 09:00 - 17:00.